The BCU is managed through its Board of directors who are ultimately responsible to the membership.
The Board meets at least 3 times per annum.
Albert Woods OBE Acting Chairman, President, Chairman of World Class Management Group (WCMG)
David Belbin Treasurer
David Gent Acting Chair of the Coaching Strategy Group (CSG)
Eddie Palmer SCA Representative
Andy Maxted Canoe England Representative
Greg Smale Canoe England Representative
Alan Baker WCA Representative
Phil Blain WCA Representative
Mary Doyle CANI Representative
Annual General Meetings (AGMs) are held in every calendar year; calling notices are sent to all ‘Individual’ members and give at least 21 days’ notice. AGMs are held for the following purposes:
• To receive from the Board, a full statement of account.
• To receive from the Board, a report of the activities of the Union since the previous AGM.
• To elect the Chairman, President, Vice-President and Treasurer. (where appropriate)
• To appoint the Union’s auditors.
• To transact any other business as may be brought before it.
The English Council
The English Council is the committee established to manage the sport and recreation of Canoeing in England, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Reports directly to the Board.
David Gent, Chairman and BCU Vice President
Kevin Dennis, Vice Chair
Representatives from all English Regional Development Team - North East, Cumbria, Yorkshire, North West, East MIdlands, West Midlands, East, London, South East, Southern, South West
Representatives from 11 disciplines - Canoe Sprint, Canoe Slalom, Canoe Marathon, Wildwater Canoeing, Canoe Polo, Canoe Surf, Canoe Sailing, Canoe Freestyle, Sea Touring, Whitewater Rafting, Canoe Lifeguards
Chair of English Coaching Management Committee - Steve Scorer
Chair of The Waterways and Environment Operations Group, Vic Brown
English Representatives on BCU Board
English Council Terms of Reference
World Class Management Group (WCMG)
The WCMG is comprised of the following people:
Albert Woods OBE Chairman, BCU President
Brian Chapman BCU Chairman
Paul Buxton UK Sport Representative
Paul Owen BCU Chief Executive
John Anderson BCU World Class Director of Performance
Anne Hounslow Canoe Slalom Committee Chair
Peter Moule Sprint Racing Committee Chairman
The WCMG is also attended by Andy Maddock, BCU Academy Manager.
Coaching Operations Group (COG)
The BCU Coaching Operations Group (COG) is responsible for the implementation and management of the policies and decisions of the BCU CSG, and for reporting to CSG in relation to those activities and matters.
In particular the COG will;
- Manage the development of BCU coaching, leadership, personal performance and safety qualifications and awards
- Manage the programme of training, assessing and agreeing the work programme of the personnel to deliver the BCU coaching and leadership qualifications and awards
- To communicate the developments and changes in the scheme of qualifications and awards through BCU and Home nation associations communication networks
- Act as an advisory panel to the BCU Awarding Body
- To implement appropriate communication and reporting pathways across the UK
- To lead on specific projects and establish time limited project groups for key areas of work; and
- Suggest possible areas of collaborative working amongst Home Countries and third party organisations.
Graham Lyon Acting Chair
Marianne Davies Canoe Wales
Rayan Sammut Canoe England
Andy Murray Scottish Canoe Association
Ashley Hunter Canoe Association of Northern Ireland
Mike Devlin BCU Director of Coaching
Gareth Wilson BCU Performance Department
Waterways and Environment Operations Group
The Waterways and Environment Operations Group is responsible for the strategic planning, policies, guidance, and implementation for access and the environment in England.
English Coaching Committee (ECC)
Aims of ECMC:
- To form part of the English Coaching Network with a two-way communication mechanism between the English Coaching Department and the wider membership, including an Annual Consultative Meeting.
- To monitor the English regional coaching workforce; identifying where gaps exist that effect paddler pathways and targeting coach education opportunities appropriately
The English Coaching Management Committee shall comprise 13 voting representatives as follows to ensure integrated representation across disciplines and competition:
Chairman: Steve Scorer
Vice-Chair: Andrew Maxted
Six Regional Coaching Organisers
Outdoor Centre representative: Andy Hall
Four competition representatives
The Chair and Vice chair are elected at the English Coaching ACM, whilst the other representatives are elected into the role of either RCO or Competition Coaching Committee Representative.